Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Rockin it for Movember

As I wander the streets of Toronto this month i've increasingly run into more and more mustached men. The reason? Definitely not due to an increase in creepers around the city, but because it is Movember. Movember is a month-long charity event run by The Prostate Cancer Society during November in hopes of raising money and awareness for Prostate Cancer and getting men to go to the doctor and get their prostates checked out. A friend of mine told me about it last year when she was appointed Director of Movember Canada. This year now my boyfriend picked up the trend to raise awareness about this world-wide spread cancer, which his great grandfather died of several years ago. For more information on Movember, check out www.movember.com.

Even though these mustaches are awkward, funny, creepy, and many other adjectives, it's still one of my favourite times of the year because it means some of my favourite artists put on Movember Shows to raise money and awareness. Last Thursday I attended a show put on by Walk Off The Earth at The Red Rooster in Burlington, Ontario. I had been to the venue before and loved the small crowded indie feel to it. I missed the first few bands, but got there in time to see a rad chickplay some covers with her own style put into it..unfortunatley, and I feel horrible about this, I forgot her name :( so when I find that out i'll definitely make a post dedicated to her to show you guys her amazing talents! WOTE played an amazing set as usual, making it acoustic with a keyboardist and without a drummer, although Gianni had a few feet drums to keep the bass going. I didn't end up staying for the rest of the bands but it was a great night seeing how many people came out in support for Movember. This Friday November 26th, Red Rooster has another show for Movember with KO and Jeremy Chambers taking the stage. $15 in advance and $20 at the door, make sure you make it out if you can because it should be a good night! If I make it out to the show i'll make sure to let you all know how it went if you don't get there. Until next time,

One Love!
Alanna

No comments:

Post a Comment